Family member of EU citizen

Please note: the following procedure does not apply to family members of Estonian nationals, unless they live in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland.

Directive 2004/38/EU applies to all European Union citizens who move or reside in a Member State other than that of which they are national, and to their family members who accompany or join them.

Member States shall grant third-country nationals who are family members of citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom (under the Withdrawal Agreement) – hereinafter referred to as the EU citizens – who are covered by Directive 2004/38/ CE, all facilities for obtaining Schengen visa.

If you want to travel to Estonia with a family member who is EU citizen, or visit a family member there, you can apply for visa under simplified conditions. Applications for Schengen visas for this purpose are processed faster and free of charge; yet service fees are applicable.

The following persons are EU citizen’s family members, as defined by the Directive:

(a) the spouse;

(b) the partner with whom the Union citizen has contracted a registered partnership, on the basis of the legislation of a Member State, if the legislation of the host Member State treats registered partnerships as equivalent to marriage and in accordance with the conditions laid down in the relevant legislation of the host Member State;

(c) the direct descendants who are under the age of 21 or are dependants and those of the spouse or partner as defined in point (b);

(d) the dependent direct relatives in the ascending line and those of the spouse or partner as defined in point (b)


You are eligible if you can prove objectively that all of the following requirements are met:

  • you are a family member of EU citizen (this includes a spouse, registered partner, child who is under 21 or a depending family member); and
  • you are accompanying the EU citizen or planning to join him/her; and
  • this EU citizen is travelling to or is residing in another member state than that of which he/she is a national.

Required documents:

  • passport or other travel document, valid for at least three months after departing from the Schengen area
  • A completed application form
  • One photograph of passport style and size [35 x 45 mm] for all applicants, including minors.
  • Documentation proving that you belong to one of the categories mentioned above (marriage certificate, certificate of registration of partnership, birth certificate or other official documentation).
  • A copy of passport of the relative who is EU citizen