Who is eligible to apply?
You can apply for the digital nomad visa if you meet the following requirements:
- You are able to work independent of location.
- You can perform your work duties remotely using telecommunications technology.
- You either have an active employment contract with a company registered outside of Estonia, conduct business through your own company registered abroad, or work as a freelancer for clients mostly outside of Estonia.
- You can provide evidence that your income met the minimum threshold during the six months preceding the application. Currently, the monthly income threshold is €4500 (gross of tax).
You can apply for an Estonian long-stay visa (D-visa) or a short-stay visa to Estonia (C-visa), depending on the planned period of stay.
In addition to the general visa application procedure and rules, you will need to provide documents proving that you meet the eligibility requirements of being a location-independent employee or digital nomad.
Documents required for a Schengen visa
Documents required for a long-stay D-visa
Additional documents required for a Digital Nomad Visa:
- Documents proving that the applicant’s employment is independent of location and that applicant is able to use telecommunications technology to perform his or her duties remotely – a written explanation of the applicant regarding the intention to use the visa for teleworking.
- Documents certifying that the applicant continues to work for a foreign-registered employer with whom applicant has a contractual relationship or for the benefit of a foreign-registered company in which applicant has a shareholding, or provides services mainly to customers with a foreign establishment and a contractual relationship – a written confirmation from the employer that the applicant is able to perform work duties remotely, an employment contract or other contract under the law of obligations.
- Documents certifying the legal income of the applicant during the six months preceding the submission of the application and indicating the amount, regularity and sources of the income – all documents have to be originals, in format A4, with stamp and signature.
- Last 6 months personal bank account statements. The payment of mandatory state/local taxes or social security contributions (Indian citizens: only personal ITR-V, Indian Income Tax Return Verification Form or Acknowledgement is accepted for the last 2 assessment years).
- If employed: Last 6 months salary slips and last 6 months salary bank account statements.
- If self-employed and/or company owner: Business registration certificate /Partnership Deed / Proof of proprietorship or other proof of ownership. Last 6 months personal and business bank account statements.
- A certificate from the competent authority of the state where the company is located, which shows the name, seat, field of activity of the company, the applicant’s participation in the company and information concerning the legal representatives of the company.
- A description of the course of studies and working life.
- The applicant or the company in which the applicant has a share does not have a tax debt in the applicant’s country of residence or the company’s registered country.